The Gateway programme is available to students studying at Years 11-13. It supports career decision making through providing work-based learning experiences and opportunities for students to learn in the real world in an industry or workplace appropriate to a student’s interests and strengths. Each year over 30 students from Te Kauwhata College take advantage of this opportunity and, for many, Gateway experiences help them in making decisions about career planning or in gaining an apprenticeship or employment opportunity.
Students best suited to participate in Gateway will be those who are:
- interested in a career in a particular industry
- work ready i.e. they display a high level of maturity, standard of behaviour, attitude and work ethic.
- able to undertake individual learning programmes related to their work placement
- able to undertake self-managed learning in the workplace
- committed to a voluntary work placement
Gateway is a huge commitment. Not only are students required to complete a work placement and achieve 20 credits associated with this placement, but they also have to catch up on missed work from other subjects. Most work placements are completed in Term 2 and 3.