The Waikato Trades Academy is a partnership between Wintec, Industry and Secondary Schools and enables Year 11-13 students, who are interested in a career in a trade or technology, to combine practical tertiary-based study with studies towards their National Certificate of Educational Achievement (NCEA). Courses include Manufacturing and Technology (mechanical engineering, automotive engineering, electrical engineering and collision repair and paint), Services (hairdressing, hospitality, make-up and beauty), Construction and Infrastructure and Agriculture.
Students must be able to attend Wintec on a regular basis and be committed over a two-year period.
The Wintec Trades Academy benefits include:
- fee-free tertiary education
- a head start on a trades career while achieving NCEA
- help in deciding what you want to do after school
- unit standard credits from the trades qualification count towards NCEA
- more likely to achieve NCEA at higher levels when studying a qualification of interest
- trade study inspires an understanding and appreciation of core subjects such as English, Math and Science
- programmes offered are coordinated to make best use of both secondary and tertiary expertise and resources
- secondary school support, friendships, networks and activities are maintained. You can keep doing the sport or after school activities you love, and attend the school ball!
- full access to Wintec’s support services including student mentors, counselling, Student Learning Services, and Te Kete Kōnae
- individual learning plans for each student cover attendance, workplace skills and life skills i.e. problem solving, self-management, team building, time management, personal presentation and self esteem
- make friends with students from other secondary schools with similar interests to you